The Balance Family
Read More Stories of Success
- Roshine Castillo, Job Training for Achievers
- Dario Torres, Job Training for Achievers
- Daquan Blount, Job Training for Achievers
- Evelyn Ayala, Innovative Education
- Monique White, Innovative Education
- William D’Emilio, Caring for Our Veterans
- Steve Sterling, Caring for Our Veterans
- Ms. Tay, Returning Home
- Ortiz Family, Know Your Rights
- Owen & Ralquan, Ending Homelessness
- Ms. Rosado, Ending Homelessness
Shortly following the birth of their newborn daughter, the Balance family fled to a homeless shelter to escape harmful living conditions. Before becoming homeless, the family spent the winter without gas, “there was no gas to cook or even warm up our baby’s milk. It was horrible,” said Mrs. Balance.
When the family began working with RBSCC, they immediately started searching and applying for apartments. “[RBSCC] has access to tons of information and were willing to share it with us…they made us feel comfortable,” Mrs. Balance said. RBSCC staff helped the family fill out applications for affordable housing and successfully secure an apartment.
When they first saw their apartment, the Balances felt overjoyed, “the building is amazing…there’s more space than we knew what to do with…[RBSCC] gave us new hope… It was like learning how to walk again.”